At GospelLife, the music ministry facilitates family worship in praise, prayer, and proclamation of the word. Just like preaching, the music ministry is a word-centred ministry. It also carries on the burden and vision of GospelLife. It aims and seeks to serve God’s people by helping them to corporately express themselves in song. Good music is a tool in God’s hands that can be instrumental in bringing people together. And as people gather and hear the word they grow to become a great family of God and a light to the nations around them.
Why do we sing?
1. We sing for worship And all the congregation worshipped, and the singers sang, and the trumpeters sounded: and all this continued until the burnt offering was finished (2 Chronicles 29:28).
2. We sing for thanksgiving Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God (Psalm 147:7).
3. We sing to express our joy in the lord — Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise. Sing unto the Lord with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm (Psalm 98:45).
4. We sing as a form of prayer and consecration — Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts (Psalm 139:23). Praise ye the Lord. I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, in the assembly of the upright, and in the congregation (Psalm 111:1).
5. We sing to the Lord and as a way of edifying one another – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord (Col. 3:16). And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father (Eph. 5:18-19).
6. We sing to tell of the wonderful works of the Lord — And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord (Psalm 40:3); Oh sing to the Lord a new song; sing to the Lord, all the earth! Sing to the Lord, bless his name; tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvellous works among all the peoples! (Psalm 96:1-3)
7. We sing in order to teach and pass on doctrine to others — One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare thy mighty acts. I will speak of the glorious honour of thy majesty, and of thy wondrous works (Psalm 145:45).
Every year GospelLife hosts an Afternoon of Worship Through Music dubbed Habitation. This happens on the first Sunday of April every year. In the afternoon we have great moments of song, word and fellowship. Over the years Habitation has grown to incorporate people from other churches and denominations.
We welcome all to join us always!